Saturday, October 21, 2023

Do the Hard


So one thing that I mentioned to the family at Dad's graveside was how he said to do the hard.

Dad occupied the role of the oldest in his family and had a younger brother who suffered from cystic fibrosis. Dad also trained in the Army reserve and served as a medic. While he didn't go to Viatnam he did unload body bags of fellow soldiers and knew friends who served.

I believe that these two things greatly attributed to his not liking hospitals. He avoided them as much as he could, however as he aged he grew to realize that even though it was hard, one had to show up for people in distress.

He was there for family and friends who were suffering chronic illness or dying. Yes, it is hard. Doing what is right often is. Regretting later that you did not visit, call or send a card is also hard. 

So go visit that person in the hospital or hospice. Just go. You don't need the perfect words or gift. Just go and sit. Give a hug or handshake-touch can be very therapeutic. Send a card. Show you care. 

We learn through pain and suffering when we let ourselves. Don't waste the pain. Let it change and transform you into something better. You already paid the price, don't let it be for nothing.

Also there is often hard on both sides...hard to exercise and hard to be sick/weak. Hard to confront someone or share negative feelings and hard to live with broken relationships without boundaries.

I'm also learning that there is a price of not doing the hard. It costs me because I keep having to think about it...lots of mental energy that is in turn draining on my sleep and physical body as well.

One of these Cory helped me with this week. A hard I had been putting off that was taking way too much time in my head...like a large ugly pestering bug flying around my head at inopportune times. He graciously took care of the task for me. And it didn't brother him at all. I'm very grateful and thankful. 

Another I just had to do it. I prayed up. Waited till I was rested, gave myself a deadline and just did it!

Two down this week. Lord thank you.

 I have had some in the past that I talked over with Cory or friends and they discussed it with me and my motives and then just crossed it off the list by assuring me it wasn't necessary.  Bonus!!!

So I hope that with the Lord's help you too can Do the Hard. Be brave. Be smart. Just do it!

Courage!



No comments: