Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Sabbatical thoughts...

Anna with Rwandan royal cattle

 Tuesday I experienced a rare moment for me of being alone.

Midweek last week Fritz received the thrilling news that a spot had opened up for him at Beechpoint Camp for this week! 

I'm sure he's having a ball and getting his people-loving heart filled up.

Cory was out in the garden and I had just returned from helping my dad put dirt in holes by the pond.

Monday, I chauffeured my mom both to physical therapy for her Achilles and Coumadin clinic as she's changing providers.

I feel a bit like I'm experiencing what life would have been like had we not lived overseas for two decades.

Now, granted we pray and receive regular emails and phone calls from Haiti, Global Partners, our partners/ supporters, and Africa so it is not like we have become mid-westerner Americans overnight. 

We couldn't and wouldn't even if given the chance, totally realizing the amazing privilege that the Lord blessed us with by moving us overseas. 

When we returned the end of February due to the visa issues, we thought that we'd be returning to Zambia or somewhere else in Africa the first part of July, following the GP summit in Greece.

Now I'm adjusting to the idea of staying in the USA until the new year.

Around the end of last year, beginning of this one I asked the Lord if possible that we could have a 6 month stretch knowing where we would be, as in no renewing of visas every few months with the possibility of having to pack up and leave.

I never dreamed that His answer would be to lead us to staying in the USA so I could help my folks.

I read a prayer about 'Holy disruption' this week. Kind of how this feels.

Cory has also helped his folks with house painting and yard work. 

A very mixed and wide ranging variety of feelings accompany the mental adjustment of the idea of an additional 6 months in Michigan.

I'm now actively working on my 6 month Sabbatical goals: reading list, podcasts, craft projects...that allow the flexibility needed day-to-day.

Again and again I'm thankful that God is never surprised; always attentively present; loves unconditionally; and powerfully provides what I need!

Another unexpected blessing is to be in the USA for an entire cycle of nature: we returned to snow and marched through the ups and downs of spring. 

Today summer arrived and thrives until fall pushes its way to dominate and then the cold winds of winter will follow.

What a privilege to plant flowers and garden knowing that we plan to be here to care for and then enjoy the harvest.  Enjoyed fresh picked snow peas and zucchini this week!

Fritz is enjoying attending youth group on Sunday afternoons and we are soaking up attending church as a family weekly.   Hoping that later in the year we can arrange some church visits. 

My reading this week also gave me a new perspective on 'limbo land'. The God Catchers by Tommy Tenney talks about living between 'the already' and the 'not yet'. " Can you sense your passion breaking out of its cage? Do you sense your spirit breaking loose from bondages old and new? The old-timers had a phrase for these moments. They called it 'waiting on God'"..... "It's already promised but it's not yet delivered. All you can do is wait on God --and that is the best thing to do when you are living in the land of potential, in the in-between zone. Welcome to the Holy place of collected emptiness and displayed hunger...one of God's favorite resting places." 

Thank you Lord. Help me learn. 


No comments: