Sunday, July 10, 2022

Thoughts Swirling ..

 A week of many thoughts and feelings, that started with me not attending the family 4th of July lake celebration because I wasn't feeling well. Very somber time by myself, contemplating how blessed I
am with family who love the Lord. Cory's folks also attend so this includes them! So thankful for the folks God picked to walk this life journey with me. Also makes the coming good-byes very hard and real.

Tuesday also highlighted the upcoming changes in that we packed 2 bags full and started 5 additional bags. What to bring? Not totally sure. I asked two groups on Facebook for ex-pat [folks living in Zambia from other countries] a couple of questions this week. 'What do you wish you had known before moving to Zambia?' "What do you make sure to pack when returning to Zambia?"

Anna says we should have taken a video of the items in the guest house while we were at Jembo. Well we didn't think of it. We were just starting to pray about returning and I don't think my heart allowed my head to think that concretely or logically. 

This week, July 7, there were protests in Haiti on the date of last year's presidential assassination. A year ago I didn't have a clue that it would be more than a year [likely more than two] before I'd see Haiti and Delice again. Hard. 

Each time we move the decisions of what to bring become very important. Thankfully, this trip each ticket allows us three 50 pound bags. Not totally sure we'll fill each one but carefully, prayerfully thinking about what to bring. Next week we plan to do some shopping.


The other main project this week consisted of working on getting a Newsletter put together and sent out. So very thankful for each one who prays, who reads, who encourages, who provides the financial partnership that allows us to continue. Mixed feelings as we think about Haiti's struggles and those we love there, in addition to those tied up with moving to a new, unknown place.

Our newsletter this time reads 'Equipping His People for Works of Service, for Building the Body of Christ. Those mixed feelings swirled around again...for all these years I wrote 'Equipping Haitians' and while we still are....the next move expands it to a new group of people. There is both sorrow and gladness there-bitterness and sweetness...hard and scary. 

Haiti expanded my life as a kindergartner, and shaped so much of who I am. Moving there celebrated 22 years of schooling and completion of a goal set as an 8 year old. My focus and even packing lists reflected learning to live there with a one-year old and being a medical missionary.

Almost 24 years later I am so not that same person. Even if I was, heading to a new continent, country, culture would be full of learning, adjustment, challenges and opportunities. the unknowns we've lived with for the last year change to a different set of unknowns. 

Thankfully I bring to this transition the skills and knowledge that the Lord used to transform me into a better human. I know He's still working on me and Africa has already put new and different fingerprints on me and will continue to shape me in the days to come. Even just packing and mentally preparing for the move adjusts one's perspective and attitudes. 

Juggling a large and varied range of feelings drains one's energy and focus.Thankful that today I'm feeling normal.

 Simplifying helps. So 'Love God. Love Self. Love others.' Keep eyes focused on Him, my help, my deliverer, my Lord. 


No comments: