Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Last full day!


 What is the best way to wrap up this trip? Words seem to fail me. I could make a simple list of things we have done or experienced today or this week, but I want to go about this a little differently. Yes, I can say that it has been a great trip, but how do I really explain why. We have had absolutely gorgeous weather, even though usually we are in a season of rain. We got to experience a day of history at the Citadel, a morning of Caribbean glory on sandy white beaches, gorgeous green vistas, a Haitian clown (a new one for me) and countless little moments of joy, fun and gratefulness. Did the trip have negatives, of course. There are always the piles of garbage, unpleasant smells, heat, disrupters of sleep and the occasional far off drums in the middle of the night that speak of darker things. But these things are such small detractors to our total experience. I personally am leaving with a feeling of blessing. I have loved this time with family. I loved the dedication of the church where the presence of God was so heavy that it was easy to feel despite the language barrier. I love being with my brothers and sisters in Christ of another color. To see their easy smiles, to hear their joyous singing throughout the day and to share simple greetings always is good for my soul.

I have been told several times when it comes to this county that I am a little warped and biased in my perspective. I may be because I can so easily look past the negatives and focus on the the good here, but I can't help but think that all of us as Christians need a healthy shot of perspective that comes from getting out of our normal walk of life. Haiti does that for me. It is a place that I love. It is a place that will always be near and dear to me and I always get way more than I ever give.

As I write this I can't help but think of you the reader and my prayer for you is that God pushes you out of your norm and He meets and blesses you in that place.

-Todd

Now that I've finished proofing for my dear husband, I will quickly add a few thoughts.  This is my 3rd trip to this country and the 2nd time I have been able to bring my children.  It is impossible to explain, but somehow this country gets under your skin.  I have fallen in love with this country and its people and I am watching my children do the same.  Despite everything that can be thought of as negative there is a purity about this country and these people.  I would highly encourage anyone who is reading this to allow God to break your heart for his people, because by doing so you will see them through His eyes and love them with His love.

A few highlights of our day.... going on a walk up the mountain and down through the jungle with Anna as our guide, a parade of Haitian children following us on a walk by the river, Taylor being proposed to by a young Haitian man and her dad immediately shooting him down, giving a special gift to a special little girl who we have spent time with on both of our trips here, and finally surprise hot fudge birthday cake!

-Beth

No comments: