Wednesday, April 29, 2009

29 April 09

Spring flowers are nice to see again. The trees are flowering in Michigan but we've had wind and rain lately so you need to enjoy the trees when you see them as the flowers don't last long.







We continue to enjoy some of the special things we don't have in Haiti-hot water, different types of food, TV [especially the Animal, science and food shows] that we can watch, regular mail. But the main thing we are enjoying is family and friends.

Another thing we don't have in Haiti is someone who will trim my hair. Cory has done it in the past and I got upset with him for cutting it to short. So he said-never again. So I have let it grow. But last week I decided that I should donate a ponytail to Locks of Love-an organization that makes wigs for children with hair loss.


Many of these kids have cancer. My second memory in life was of my dad's mom lossing her fight with cancer. My mom's dad also had cancer as have many of her uncles. I have also lost an aunt to Cancer, not to mention knowing many people who have had cancer either as friends or patients. So I thought this would be good to do.


We spent today working on thank you notes to our financal supporters. It is hard to put into words how much our support team means to us and the work in Haiti. Without a good support team we would not be able to do what we do.


Thanks as well to you for being interested enough in our work to read the blog.

3 comments:

Tara B. said...

I like your haircut. I did Locks of Love a few years back. BTW...my DH trims my hair too.

I was reading on another blog of a mission in Haiti and they only have electricity between the hours of 5 and 9 pm. Is that common? Are there many places with no electricity at all or many with it all the time? Is it a difference of the city and rural areas, or is it like that all over? Just curious.

Kris Thede said...

Electricity is never a given in Haiti. They do try to have power for some hours a day in the bigger cities but most have down hours. Guest houses and people who can afford them have generators. Out in the country electricity is rare. We went over 8 months without government power at Fauche and years without on LaGonave. We have both solar and generators to charge our battery system in the house. We turn the system off at night to save power. When we do have government power ours isn't predictable it may be on 6 hours or only 3 minutes in a day. And you can't know when it will be on-we have a yard light that will go on or the neighbor's radio to let us know.

Missus Wookie said...

Congrats on the hair donation, my dd did that a few years ago. Glad you have back up supplies for the electricity.