Monday, August 10, 2026

God's provision. Piper, my first vehicle.

 Heading into medical school and knowing that following the first two years in Lansing at Michigan State College of Human Medicine I would need a 4-wheel drive for the remaining time training in the Upper Peninsula I started to pray about a vehicle.

Now let it be known that about the only shopping I look forward to includes: books, antiques, and second hand stores. Car shopping was a daunting thought.

Dad and I would look around some of the dealer car lots after hours so not to interact with any sale's people as well as look though the free car sale's flyers that Mom kept brining home.

Dad soon remarked that I would need to 'take some initiative', words that he would be reminded of later. 

Then we saw it, a promising ad with a location that Mom kind of knew how to drive to [this is before GPS].

Dad couldn't go with us so as we started the drive we talked about how we would know if this was the truck for me. We decided on a couple of items based on my Mom's upbringing that would be positive signs. 1] Regular oil changes 2] my grandpa always covered the floor of his new cars to protect the original carpet. 3] mine not a deal breaker but a good radio would be a plus. 

Later that day we arrived home and as soon as we saw my Dad, he asked how the trip turned out.

Well we bought the truck. "Did you test drive it?" "No we didn't have to because the carpet was protected and the oil regularly changed."

We had managed to surprise him by 'taking initiative'. 

The nice lady who showed us the Dodge Ram Charger explained that it had been her husband's 'baby' and the only reason he was selling it was because he had upgraded. 

Piper,  named after the author of the most influential book of my childhood 'The Little Engine that Could' was pretty blue colors and could surround one with wonderfully clear music from the Pioneer radio/cassette player.

As Mom was writing out the check, the lady answered the phone responding to the caller with the information that the truck had been sold. Our family mechanic confirmed that Piper was a good deal.

Other than sliding into a ditch from black ice once and freezing the doors shut in the UP winter, Piper served me well. 

I loved the feel of being surrounded by that big truck, pulling myself up into the driver's seat came with a feeling of power. Piper felt a bit too big after sliding on the driver's side into the ditch on the ice when I realized even with standing on the window and reaching over my head I couldn't open the passenger door and pull myself up and out. Thankfully a good samaritan rapidly stopped and helped me out. Being only a few miles from home my folks picked me up shortly after I phoned them. 

A big truck I could use to move myself to the UP. I rarely filled up the 25 gallon gas tank due to the cost but Dad and Mom blessed me occasionally by doing so.

Driving Piper and the memories remind me of the Lord's provision and His promise to provide what we need. He's never surprised. He's faithful. 

Sadly I don't have any pictures of myself and Piper..


No comments: