Monday, April 23, 2012

Essay Perks! Glad I shared.

I will admit that I experience a tiny bit of doubt on publishing Eli's paper. One I did not want to be bragging on my son. Two I did not want folks to think that my student spends a lot of his time looking out the window during school.

 But these really reflected back to me and my feelings and so I shared it both on the blog and the Sonlight forums.

Thank you Allegan Wesleyan women for the dresses!
I believe that hearing the positive comments about how people enjoyed the essay as well as how it made them think encouraged Eli and will make him a better writer.

A unexpected perk came from a SL mom reading his essay and realizing that as a teenager, visiting her aunt in Haiti that she had met us and Eli. This occurred during our first year on the field therefore Eli was only 1 year old.

Not only did we reconnect with this past acquaintance, now a home schooling mom but she updated us on her aunt. Who likes to keep up with our lives on the blog but does not think we would be interested in hearing about hers. WRONG! We do want to hear from you so send an E-mail now and then, please....

I enjoy how I can connect not only with past acquaintance on line but new friends around the world. As mentioned in Eli's essay this life style allows and even encourages spending time with folks and strengthening relationships.

We act as a bridge between our Norther American and worldwide friends and our Haitian friends. A link in a world wide prayer chain.

Today parts of Haiti's capital reported "sporadic incidents of civil unrest occurring in various locations of Port-au-Prince. There have been reports that some of these incidents involve people setting up road blocks or firing shots into the air. This has caused traffic delays and congestion in various locations"  Please pray for safety for those needing to travel in Port.


A highlight of our school day: Eli, Anna and I all received 'very good' on our French lesson! We plan to celebrate with a mulberry pie. Freezing berries for over a month we finally collected enough for pie [minus a few that ended up in pancakes] Think this will inspire Cory to propagate a few more plants! Next we plan to try jam. 

3 comments:

Peter Olson said...

Please keep sharing. :-)
Love from that little place up North, Michigan.

Missus Wookie said...

Mulberry plants? Mulberries here are trees - huge big ones! You must keep pruning :) A tasty treat but very rare, we used to go to a museum garden and collect boxes full.

Kris Thede said...

Mulberry plant-ours is a thin but tall 'bush'. Cory says that there are at least 3 species and likely hundreds of varieties. No big trees here yet. Taste good though.